The Field Hockey Canada Event and Communication Coordinator summer student position is responsible for supporting successful event planning and execution as well as communication activities for the organization during the spring and summer of 2016.
In his/her duties, the successful applicant will support Men’s and Women’s National Team Managers as well as the Communication Manager in day-to-day activities.
The role includes the following tasks:
- EVENT PLANNING AND COORDINATION
- Works with Field Hockey Canada staff in coordination, planning and execution of multiple events including but not exclusive to Field Hockey Canada’s Under-16 and Under-18 National Championships, the 2016 Field Hockey Canada Hall of Fame Ceremony, and the Men’s National Team Olympic Games Sendoff
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders involved in the planning and execution of the events on the event logistics, volunteer recruitment and training, development of media, marketing materials, announcements, communications, etc.
- Coordinates guest lists, food service arrangements, menu planning, decorative and table set up, nametags and staffing
- Responds to enquiries from the public about events, including assisting with media requests.
- COMMUNICATION & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Work closely with Communication Manager to develop and execute a robust social media schedule surrounding on and off field events
- Provide general assistance to the Communication Manager in the preparation and execution of digital content including articles, videos, photos, etc.
- Share Field Hockey Canada content via social media channels, including the coordination, tracking, administration, scheduling and analysis of both paid and organic social media content
- Maintain and manage social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Create and improve processes, metrics, reporting and analytics designed to optimize social content and results
The successful candidate for the role will be:
- A good communicator – Whether in event planning or publishing, good communication skills are key. The ability to interact directly, effectively, and respectfully with partners is important, as is a good sense of written communication.
- A confident decision maker and problem solver – Many things can go wrong during an event, and something eventually will. Event coordinators need to remain calm during crisis and the high pressure of an event in progress.
- Computer savvy – In addition to the daily technical necessities like e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheet manipulation, the successful candidate should also have experience with current technologies including cloud based service and creative software
- Organized and a multi-tasker – Being able to stay on top of a multiple projects at a time and not falling behind is essential in this role
- Creative – You should enjoy telling creative and impactful stories! Experience writing, taking photos, and videos is an asset.
ELIGIBILITY: The successful applicant will be enrolled in a valid Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one term remaining (after the completion of the summer work term). Students studying Event Planning, Marketing, Communication, and/or Sport Management are preferred.
TERM: The successful applicant will begin employment in May 2016 and work through August 2016 for a maximum of 16 weeks.
HOURS & REMUNERATION: The successful applicant will earn an hourly wage of $15.45 based on a 37.5 hour work week. The successful applicant should expect to work Monday to Friday, with some evenings and weekends required.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “FHC Summer 2016” by Friday April 29, 2016 at 4:00pm Pacific Time.