Field Hockey Canada > Canada draws France in California

Canada draws France in California

February 20, 2011 | Field Hockey Canada |

Canada draws France in California 

February 20, 2011 

CHULA VISTA, CA – France, having arrived Friday morning, stepped onto the field gunning versus Canada in their first of a two game series.

French Striker, Oliver Sanchez, struck an opening field goal in the 5th minute. A nice build up encompassing both passing and dribbling set Sanchez in a dangerous position in the circle. He made no mistake flicking the ball into the side of the netting.

The play went back and forth over the next 25 minutes.  Each team managed to gain possession within the opposition’s 25 yard box.  However neither team was unable to convert the handful of chances over this period of play.

France added to their total when Sanchez struck again – this time from the top of the circle. A well placed powerful shot beat Canadian keeper Antoni Kindler.

Canada earned a corner in the final minute of the first half. Scott Tupper took a drag flick that hit square off the cross bar.  The teams entered the half time with France up by two.

A motivated and energetic Canadian team took to the pitch for the start of the second half.  In the 41st minute, a well crossed ball into the circle from Scott Tupper earned Canada’s third short corner of the game. Tupper’s drag flick was well saved by the French keeper. The ball bounced to Kevin Laidman, who in his first game for Canada, buried the ball to get Canada within one.

An over the head trap attempt cost France their second corner of the half. Tupper dragged the ball off the right post to a sliding Philip Wright to beat the keeper and post man to even up the score.

France retook the lead in the 50th minute via a penalty corner. The ball was dragged through Antoni Kindler by Fabien Magner.

Canada was determined to get back in the game and was awarded a penalty corner in the 67th minute. Tupper scored his first of the series beating the French keeper through the wickets.

The final three minutes was extremely entertaining for the supporters to watch. Each team penetrated the opposition’s circle four times. Both teams were unable to convert in the final three minutes.

The best chance came to France as the final horn was a about to blow. The umpire awarded a short corner to France with literally one second to go in the match. France slid the ball two feet to the right of the net ending the game in a 3-3 tie.

Congratulations to Kevin Laidman (started the match), Brenden Bissett (11th minute), Elliott March (20th minute), and Gordon Johnston (23rd minute)who all made their first appearance for the Canadian Senior National Team.

Canada’s next mach versus France is at 1:00pm Sunday February 19th