Field Hockey Canada > Canadian men close out preliminary round with loss to England

There have been a lot of close calls for the Canadian Men’s National Field Hockey Team at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and Thursday’s final preliminary match versus England was no exception.

Despite the 3-1 loss to the tournament’s second ranked team, England, the Candians showed well and once again likely leave the pitch feeling they deserved better.

The match started with several early chances by World No.5, England, but Canada was able to weather the storm and keep the scoreline even. It wasn’t until the twenty-fifth minute when the game’s first goal was scored, as Ashley Jackson beat Canadian keeper David Carter to give the English a 1-0 lead.

Carter was forced to make a handful more saves before the half was out to keep the game tied at one.

Heading into the second half, Canada was confident it had a chance to draw even and possibly win, however, early in the second half, England made that task considerably more difficult.

In the first minute of play, Barry Middleton beat Carter to give England its second goal of the game and a two goal-lead.

It stayed that way until Jackson added his second of the game in the fifty-forth minute to put England up three, and the game seemingly out of reach.

The Canadians, however, as they have all tournament, kept battling hard and were rewarded in the sixty-eighth minute when captain Scott Tupper converted on his second of back-to-back penalty corners to put Canada on the board.

Unfotunately, time was not on Canada’s side as they would not be able to add any more goals and would lose 3-1.

While dependent on results of other matches, Canada will likely faceoff in the 5th place classfication match on Saturday, August 1st at 2amPST/5amEST vs South Africa. Stay tuned to for confirmation.

Click here for the Canada’s men’s full Commonwealth Games schedule and results.

To support the Men’s National Team with a tax-receipted donation, visit their Chimp page here