Field Hockey Canada > Ireland Strikes Back in Game 2

Ireland Strikes Back in Game 2

June 24, 2013 | Field Hockey Canada |

Under wet and windy conditions, Canada was edged 2-1 by the Irish women at UCD in Dublin.

Ireland made the better start and won their first penalty corner in the fourth minute when a pass from Watkins found O’Flanagan in the circle, popping the ball onto a Canadian foot.

The Irish drag was run down at the top by Kate Gillis, and minutes later Canada forced a corner of their own on a clever baseline run. The resulting flick lead to another PC — this one going just wide of the net.

Ireland began to find more flow and fluidity through the backline and midfield, but the stingy Canadian defence was on point — consistently absorbing the Irish attacks within the 25.

With two minutes left in the half a great individual effort by Ireland’s O’Flanagan up the right into the circle. Her reverse stick shot was saved, but resulted in a PC for Ireland. 

Ireland took the corner with the clock winding down. The low, hard drag flick converted, giving Ireland a 1-0 lead into half.

Half time and the score board read Ireland 1 Canada 0.

Canada came out flying in the second half, clipping a shot over the crossbar and forcing the Irish keeper to smother another Canadian effort on the goal from a tight angle.

Canada won their third penalty corner of the game nine minutes after the restart, after an Irish break down on the 50 yard line which led to a Canadian breakaway and subsequent foot in the circle.

The ensuing set piece was again saved, now with back and forth action at both ends. Minutes later Ireland won a corner of their own.

The flick was saved but the Irish Women managed to win another. This time the low flick was tipped in to put Ireland up 2-0.

Canada now determined, started pressing the Irish back field —  winning two corners. The first was well saved and the second went high into the face of an Irish player before Hanna Haughn collected the rebound and hammered it home to get Canada on the board.

Time was stopped for the blood injury but after umpire deliberation the goal stood. The Irish player did not return.

Canada kept pressing, and received another corner with 13 minutes left in the game. The result was a penalty stroke due to a drag flick off the body of an Irish player on the line. The stroke was saved.

The teams traded offense in the final minutes, as Ireland went on the attack looking to extend their lead.

Time fizzled out along with Canada’s chances of snatching an equaliser, and the score finished 2-1 for Ireland.

Click here for photos from the game! 

The series is now tied at one apiece, with the crucial deciding game on Tuesday morning, 11.30am PST. Follow along @FieldHockeyCan for the latest updates!