Field Hockey Canada > Super League: Weekend 1 Results

Super League: Weekend 1 Results

April 19, 2010 | Field Hockey Canada |

Super League: Weekend 1 Results

April 19, 2010

Game 1 : Red vs Pink (2-1)

The 2010 Super league kicked off this weekend with the first game of the series on Friday night.  Game 1 saw coach Nick Sandhu’s pink team face off with Aaron Guest’s red team, with red prevailing 2-1.

The first half saw the red team with more possession and attack with several penalty corners. The pink team had some solid organization in the backfield led by Anna Kozniuk and UBC alumni Sarah Saddler. Robyn Pendleton, of the red team, lead a series of threatening of attacks with Michelle Weber playing a strong supporting role. UVic Vikes goalie Kaitlyn Williams was agile and solid for the pink team and came up with some very key saves to keep the scoreline low.

The second half saw a surge of energy for the pink team including several attempts lead by forward Elise Milosevich but were kept out by goal keeper Lisa Dawn. Pink was unfortunate not to score as a goal was called back after hitting Katie Collison’s foot before crossing the line; however, Abigail Raye was able to put them on the board on a penalty corner strike. The red team was able to get the go-ahead and winning goal on a short corner after an excellent strike by Robyn Pendleton. Navy team members Thea Culley and Danielle Hennig were called on to help out the red team’s short line up while the pink team’s key members Diana Roemer and Kate Gillis were sidelined due to injury.

Game 2 : Navy vs Baby Blue (1-3)

Saturday morning saw plenty of April showers as guest coach Steve Rodrigues’ baby blue team battled Graham Wood’s navy team with baby blue taking the first win of the series, 3-1.

The navy team started off with strong possession and several penalty corners. Navy was able to take the early lead with a great baseline run by UBC rookie Katie Jameson. Jameson was able to find her thunderbird team mate, Kim Aldridge, at the stroke mark who made no mistake on a one timer to make the game 1-0. The play moved back and forth between the ends with Stephanie Nesbitt taking control of the attack for the baby blue team. Caught on a fast switch, the navy team conceded the tying goal when Nesbitt was able to find a waiting Priya Randhawa at the top of the circle. Making no mistake of beating her defender, Randhawa was able to tie up the game.

The rain continued to fall through out the second half and momentum began to shift in favour of the baby blue team. Randhawa was able to earn a stroke after some great individual efforts in the circle. Defender Miranda Mann made no mistake to put her team up 2-1. The third and final goal came on a penalty corner when a layoff to Miranda Mann was struck and well saved by Amanda Stone but Whitney Siegmann was waiting to put the rebound in. Some great two-way effort was seen by Rachel Donahue, Thea Culley and Andrea Gibson of the navy team; as well as Paige Norris, Christine De Pape and Krissy Wishart for the baby blue team.